Monday, August 23, 2010

Mindful Monday: Leaping

It's official. We are going to homeschool. Yesterday many of my favorite people gathered to swim and play and celebrate the beginning of a new school year at our old school. But we didn't. Tonight many of my favorite people will gather to go to the orientation of the school that has been our community, our home, for three years. Making the decision to homeschool was not easy, not without doubt, definitely not without sadness. It frankly caught me off guard. When I think of the faces I will be missing, it's easy to wonder what the hell we were thinking. But I know it's meant to be our path.

In the sweeter moments I see a beauty in it all. The beauty in helping my children learn what fascinates them, of helping them follow their hearts, listen to what their souls are whispering. In darker moments I think "I'm going to be lonely. And burnt out. They're going to drive me crazy." And I have been a parent long enough to know all those things are true. I've also been a human long enough to know all those things are fleeting. Just like my time with them.

In a week, when we begin in earnest, we will start with trees. Trees are big and beautiful and give us breath. When you hug the big ones, you can feel their souls. We will let the trees open us to the beauty around us, the bigness of life, and the serenity of being still. And then, when we are ready to move on, we will see where the ride takes us. The trees with their reaching branches, they will point the way.

7 comments:

Sha Zam- said...

I'm liking this new 'writing you' already! Good for you all! That is courageous decision.

Bridget said...

Can't wait to hear about your experience! Honestly, I really admire people who home school. Such an amazing commitment. Trees. I love it. Elia and I were chatting about the carbon dioxide/oxygen connection with trees as we were driving last week (yes, she's three- and yes, much of it was over her head) but she was SO in to the whole thing. At a red light, she says to me, "look, mama, that tree is doing a great job breathing." It was such a precious moment in parenting. It was lovely. And you! You are going to have these moments throughout every day. awesome!

Christine said...

Yes, you are right! You can feel the souls of trees if you pay attention. There are so many methaphors in trees, so much of life is there.

Jessica said...

I love trees. I love your blog. I've been reading for a while, but haven't commented. I'm a PAP, this will be our first. I thought I would share this TED video in case you hadn't seen it. It's about trees and life and what trees can teach us all.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/nalini_nadkarni_life_science_in_prison.html

Anonymous said...

you all were greatly missed, but we'll always be your people:) homeschooling is going to open soooo much for your family...and when you get lonely, bring the crew to the playground at 2:30!!

The Lost Planetista said...

Oh sweet! The home-schoolers that I know have it made.Given the choice, most kids would much rather finish their studies early in the day and go outside to explore and learn. I'd say we have about a 99% chance that we'll home-school when the time comes (in 3 years or so). I look forward to reading about your experiences and what lead you to this decision. Best of luck!

Shannon said...

Hey Ashley;

You are wonder woman!! I just got 5of my 6 in school this week. The twins actually had their first day of pre-school today. It was nice having time just with Bear - but my schedule is CRAZY and I feel like Im in the car ALL THE TIME!! I can't believe we have been home six months. The kids are doing great and maybe now with them all in school I can actually find the time to update the old blog. We still think about you (and all our travel buddies). Hope your family continues to flourish!!

shannon