Thursday, August 19, 2010

Six Months Home

Yonas has been home six months today. When I look back at how far we've all come as individuals, as a family, I am amazed. And proud. I will not write a long post today, nor will we celebrate in an external way. But I will celebrate quietly and internally. Today I celebrate:

Ava, and her ability to help and love and tolerate Yonas. Her siblings adore and idolize her with good reason. She is a demi-god.

Eden, who is often better at re-directing his behavior and extinguishing potential fires than I.

Safa, whose ability to forgive and grant him love and affection when he's been awful to her puts me to shame.

Erik, for his support and strength, his humor and battlefield camaraderie. He has been an anchor for me when I felt adrift.

I celebrate myself for digging deep, being honest, asking for help and coming out the other side to find myself six months later celebrating and loving my son. I celebrate myself for knowing I still have a lot of work to do.

I celebrate Yonas for the boy he was when we met him, the boy he is now, and the boy he is becoming. Yonas feels a home-ness here now. The amount of trust and release and surrender it took on his part to get where we are now is not lost on me. It is humbling and beautiful and heartbreaking. A deep bow of respect to you my son.

May the next six months bring more healing, laughter, and peace and bring us round to celebrating a year together as a family of six.

5 comments:

Sha Zam- said...

Six months is huge! Your boy was in 'care' far longer than my guy-- so it may take a bit longer.. but soon- you'll notice something... something big.. a big shift... I hope I'm not alone in this. Cause it was HUGE at this house... and the milestones are rolling in one after the other. Teg still remembers Yonas- We go back and look at pics so he knows his friends are ok and with family. He laughs and then says.. "ahbetay crying." Teg was apparently the tattle tale in the group..

Gin said...

We have had our daughter with us for 11 weeks, she is a 2 year old from Ethiopia and I am really struggling... wondering if I could get a personal email address for you to ask you some
questions?
westashevilleplayschool@yahoo.com
thanks for your honesty and congratulations on six months.

Julie said...

You did it. Hugs to you.

Janna said...

Hats off to you all. What absolutely lovely thoughts.

rebekah said...

Congratulations. Been thinking of you a lot the past, oh, 7 days.. and counting:)